Saturday 26 January 2013

In Which I Have a Lazy Day

I had a very lazy day today. We were scheduled to go to the market in Medina (which is where I went to get my hair braided), but we were all really tired yesterday. As a group, we have been going almost non-stop this entire week. Last weekend was all about travel. Monday and Tuesday were UG orientation. Wednesday and Thursday were USAC orientation. And yesterday there was the tour of Accra. I needed a break! I slept in (our days have been starting at 7 or 8am) and wrote in my journal and lazed about. Then Caitlyn, Natasha, and I went to walk around campus. I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but UG is huge. It might be a mile wide and a half mile long. I will get lots of exercise this semester.We walked around campus to try to figure out when and where our classes would meet. The registration system here is very confusing. And redundant. But I guess it works for them. I have to register online for classes without knowing exactly where or where they will meet. Then, once the meeting times and places are announced, I have to go back and add or drop classes where there are conflicts. Then, for the English department, I have to go to the department office and register in person because there are a limited number of spots for some classes. I find it all very confusing. I am definitely used to registering online--quick and easy. I will register for my Fall classes at Iowa from here, hopefully with no problems.
I met a really nice girl at the night market today. The night market is a small cluster of stalls just behind our dorm building. You can literally buy anything you can think of there, bread, water, fast food, fruit, canned food, soda, vegetables. We stopped at one of the stalls and got egg sandwiches for dinner. There was a young girl minding the stall for her mother. Her name is Porsche. She is big for her age, I think. She said that she was in third form, which makes her about nine years old. She had here hair cut close to her head and small earrings in her ears. She smiled shyly at the three of us and asked us our names. Natasha had met her before, but Porsche had trouble with her name. She didn't understand my name at first, until I told her that it was just like the Hannah in the Bible. I have found that most people recognize my name in relation to the Bible. I had been told that people are very religious here, but I don't know it it had really sunk in. One of the other girls asked Priscilla B about going to church a few days ago. She definitely implied that everyone goes to church in Ghana. I don't know that I will tell anyone about my religious inclination. Or the lack thereof. Although it might be interesting to go and see what a service would be like here. One of the Priscillas goes to a Baptist church. That would be an experience.
We are going to the beach tomorrow, so that will probably be a long day, but undoubtedly very beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment