Tuesday 22 January 2013

In Which My Adventure Begins

So. I'm here! And not in a creepy alien kind of way. There are so many things to say and write; I don't know how I will ever get them all down. This all started in September when I started looking at the different study abroad programs in Africa. I knew that I wanted to go somewhere unusual. Somewhere I would probably never have the chance to go again. I found options in both South Africa and Ghana, but the Ghana program, through USAC, seemed to have more of the classes and support that I wanted. And the deadline for the Winter term was two weeks away, so I still had time to apply. I think that I am very glad that I did. Two days ago, on January 19th, 2013, I flew from Chicago to Frankfurt, and then from Frankfurt to Accra, Ghana, arriving on the 20th quite late at night.
The plane ride was very long, and the layover in Frankfurt was even longer. Our flight arrived in Frankfurt at 7am. I was so tired! Because of the time change, I stayed awake all of Saturday night, and could only manage a few hours of sleep when I got to Accra. Monday was just a bit hellish. I was so tired. And three of us got mixed up about the time and showed up for breakfast an hour early! Ach!
We ate at a little place called The Canteen. There is a large tent with groupings of tables and a small rectangular building with a tin roof. A bunch of smaller tables were pulled together to make a long banquet-like table, and a buffet was set up off to the side. We're eating breakfast and dinner there all this week. So far we've had three meals. For breakfast, we were served toast or rolls, hard-boiled eggs, sausage, and rice porridge. There was instant coffee, tea, and mango juice. It was quite good, if not as the breakfasts to which I am accustomed. After breakfast, we were driven to a large hall where the University of Ghana (UG) orientation was to take place. Both Monday and Tuesday mornings we listened to the staff of the International Programs Office and guest speakers talk to us about procedures for the university, things to watch out for, and Ghanian culture. The talk on culture was the most interesting. It was given by the director of the African Studies department, a woman who absolutely insisted that we all call her Aunty Irene, because absolutely everyone does, including the President of the university! She was funny and sarcastic and very down-to-earth. She is the kind of personality meant for teaching. I can see her inspiring interest in anything she set her mind to teaching. In the afternoon, we took a break. I had the fan in my room fixed, so my second night was so much more comfortable than my first. In fact, I literally slept like a rock, and didn't wake up until Caitlyn knocked on my door at 7:30 to tell me that I was late and that everyone was waiting on me. I definitely need to buy an alarm clock.
This afternoon (Tuesday the 22nd), after orientation in the morning, we went on a tour of campus with Priscilla B. There are two Priscillas (A and B), both students at UG, who help out with the USAC students, along with two others, Peter and Seth. Priscilla B is a small girl, shorter than me by a few inches, and very tiny. She has creamy skin the color of coffee with just a touch of milk. Priscilla A is taller, fairly average in both height and size. Her skin is a beautiful dark chocolate. She is studying English, so we have lots to talk about. Peter is a very friendly and engaging guy. I picture him in the bright blue polo he was wearing yesterday. His skin is darker, almost like mahogany, and he is tall and wiry, like a runner. I have only just met Seth, so more on him later. The campus is a strange mixture of colonial architecture, beautiful and a bit run-down. The buildings all seem to be white plaster with red tile roofs. It is a nice effect, clean and bright in the direct sun, but it is a nearly constant reminder of the history of European involvement here.
Throughout the tour, I saw trees and flowers I had never seen before. There are trees that have delicate red flowers sprouting from the crowns of branches and dusty brown pods handing from  the tips. Priscilla B told me what they are called, but I have already forgotten. I have also seen several different bird that I have never encountered before. I think that I will try to find a book about the wildlife and fauna of Ghana so that I can identify all of the new things that I see. My Brant guidebook recommended a street in Accra for things like that--and also the University Bookshop.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Hannah! What a rich and exciting travel log of your beginnings in Ghana. Have a wonderful time and keep the stories coming. Love, Aunt Diane

    ReplyDelete