Monday 29 April 2013

Irritibility and Irresistibility

I have had a very frustrating day. Perhaps the most frustrating day of my time here thus far. It seems as though everything today is late--late or missing altogether. I had a make-up class scheduled for 8 am. The majority of the students did not begin to appear until 8:30. I mentioned this to my roommate, and she brushed it off, saying that Ghanaians have a different conception of time than Americans do--than I do. It just seems so disrespectful to me. It is a waste of the professor's time. And my time. I am trying to remind myself to moderate my frustration. I am in a foreign country. There are bound to be differences. But this is just ingrained in my psyche. It is common courtesy. You show up for class prepared and on time, or you should not even bother. To make matters worse, I had a meeting scheduled with one of my professors for this afternoon, and he didn't show. He wasn't in his office and none of the department office staff knew anything.
I am actually surprised that I haven't had a day like this before this. Maybe I have and it just hasn't upset me as much as today has.
On a brighter note, Caitlyn and I went to see a seamstress today. We went to Medina on Saturday, the large open market near campus. We were able to find two patterns that suit both of us. We wanted to buy GTP, the Ghanaian brand of cloth. It is rather expensive--relative to everything else that is available here, that is (the only kind of cloth that is more expensive are the really beautiful Dutch wax prints)--and is only sold in six yard pieces. Six yards is a bit too much for one person, but it is a perfect length to split between two people! Both pieces are blue. But one is a pale blue, almost sea-foam, with rust red flowers and arabesques. It is feminine and lovely. The other is a bright pattern of birds and trees in cerulean, hot pink, and purple; I was drawn to it from across the room. It is playful and beautiful. The cloth made here is all so beautiful. I picked a lovely, low-back pattern for the light blue and an empire-waist halter dress for the bright blue. I'll post pictures when I get them back!

No comments:

Post a Comment