Thursday 4 April 2013

Strike!

The lecturers at UG are on strike. Apparently they are not getting paid. In general, this would be a very bad thing. Everyone deserves to be paid--and paid a fair wage--for the work they do. But this is very inconvenient for me. I am torn between their right to strike and my own concerns. I really have no idea what it will mean for international students if the strike goes on much longer. They have to give us some sort of credit for being here. We pay for it, after all--unlike the Ghanaian students. I can't stay longer, if they end up extending the semester. I have to be in Iowa in June.
So, what to do? I have no idea.
I think that, generally, professors are highly under-appreciated. They do a lot more work than most people give them credit for--with research and publishing and teaching. It is very difficult to carve out a career in academia. But there are professors who manage to inspire students and to be rigorous scholars. Although, I think that it must be easier for people in the humanities--the very root of the word implies that human interaction is required. And if I ever end up teaching at the university level, I hope I am appreciated for what I do. I hope that I am appreciated no matter what I do.
So, yes, a strike. I'll write more when I know more...
Tressie, Taylor and Caitlyn on one our first days at the university...such beautiful colonial architecture!

No comments:

Post a Comment